Without having medicinal properties themselves, excipients enable active pharmaceutical ingredients to perform as intended – for example, by facilitating physiological absorption. They might facilitate disintegration, lubricity, flowability and other actions, thereby enhancing the drug’s functionality.
Excipients carry out several roles in drug formulations, such as:
- · Supporting the processing of the drug delivery system during its manufacture
- · Protecting, supporting, or enhancing stability, bioavailability or patient acceptability
- · Assisting in product identification and enhancing any attribute of the overall safety
- · Assisting in the effectiveness and/or delivery of the drug in use
- · Assisting in maintaining the integrity of the drug product during storage